Roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by percyj, Jul 24, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    If you only have one rooster do they make good pets? Also I saw a post on raising trader Joe eggs what eggs would those be???

2. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It depends on the breed but some would make great pets. However, chickens are flock animals and do better in groups, but can be kept alone.

What breed do you have?

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

If you only want one, Silkies are good [​IMG]

4. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I never got any of the trader Joe eggs, but I know what they are. They're fertile eggs you can order online for hatching. You order, they ship, you hatch and raise. All the chickens I've seen raised from trader Joe are snow white. Very pretty. And on keeping a rooster as a pet.... We have a rooster and a hen. Both are pets, not being kept for dinner. lol He won't let us touch him, so if you're looking for a loving rooster... look hard. My chickens are speckled sussex, but I have heard silkie chickens are very sweet. I would agree with louieandthecrew and say try that breed. Good luck!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Actually, if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, go in and look for the fertile eggs. Those are the ones many folks have hatched; no ordering and shipping, just buying 'em from the refrigerated storage, letting them come to room temp, and putting them in an incubator. Some Safeway stores and other markets sell fertile eggs, too.

I'm slightly interested in getting a dozen such eggs and taking a stab at incubating them.

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    It depends on the rooster. I got lucky and have 2 very nice roosters. One is an EE and the other is a Silkie.

7. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I love my Dark Brahma rooster. Everyone that comes over just loves Bob. He is great with everyone, even little kids. Here is Bob last weekend playing with a 2 year old.
    [​IMG]

And here is our other Roo, RooPaul... He does not like to be handled but he also never comes after anyone either.
    [​IMG]

So far both boys get along. Bob is definitely the head Roo & RooPaul is fine with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by