Rooster's....

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Why is it so hard to get rid of extra roo's. I have at least 8 BR's and that many EE's that I need to rehome, but I am beginning to think that it is impossible. Anybody got any suggestions other than to cull? Culling is a option, not by me of course because I am a wimp, but by dh. That is gonna be a last resort though. HELP....
hit.gif

edited to say: If this is in the wrong place, mods please move it, thanks.

Last edited:
I do NOT have another suggestion for extra roos.

If they are young you have a lot of sunday dinners featuring fried chicken. Let them go about 10 - 12 weeks. There won't be nearly as much meat on them as a commercial chicken but they will taste delicious. Dispatch them and leave them in the fridge 24 - 48 hours before preparing to eat.

Did you put a sign at the feed store, freecycle, craigslist? Those are usually good places to find folks looking for roos - either for pets or dinner.

Jody

Thanks everybody. I haven't done any of the things said here to do, but I am going to asap. There is a poultry auction about 1hr from where I live that I have thought about trying. I just don't know the least little bit about auctions. We don't have a craigslist in my home town. The closest is in Savannah Ga about 6hours from me. There is a freecycle about 1hr from me, so I can try that.

MissPrissy: they are young only 5 weeks old.I need to put them on broiler ration right?

You shouldn't have any problems after all that, I myself take in extra roos all the time, I LOVE them and they enjoy my 5 acres, (GREAT clean up crew :eek:) !!!

If you want to feed them out for your table broiler feed will do fine for them from now on. They will only need another 6 weeks to start finishing off. If you see they are getting a good size no need to carry them further.

Where are you in GA? I'm actually in search of an EE Roo and fairly close to North East GA.

Back
Top Bottom