Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Surcooksalot, May 17, 2011.

1. Surcooksalot

Surcooksalot New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Will roosters protect hens from predators?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A rooster will do his best. Some have been known to take on predators, at the cost of their own lives. Most are best at warning the hens of danger, giving the hens time to seek shelter.

Once I saw my older roo do his best to distract a dog, by running back and forth between the dog and his hens. Somehow the roo, Thor, was able to sense and/or see when the hens were safely hidden. Then and only then did he seek shelter himself.

One thing you'll notice with a good roo. When the hens are all busy foraging, with their fluffy butts in the air, heads down, it's the roo that has an eye on the sky; always keeping watch for predators.

4. Surcooksalot

Surcooksalot New Egg

May 16, 2011
    OK. Thanks. I guess I will make plans for a rooster as well when I buy a small flock.

5. Surcooksalot

Surcooksalot New Egg

May 16, 2011
    If you have a rooster is there any difference in egg collection? Red spots etc.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No. Blood spots and meat spots happen regardless of whether you have a rooster or not. They are the result of an occurence within the hens body during the formation of the egg and have nothing to do with an egg being fertile. There is no difference in taste or nutrition in a fertile egg vs. an infertile egg. You can't even see the difference unless you look closely and know what you are looking for, the "bullseye". Blood spots and/or meat spots are perfectly harmless. You can scoop em out if you choose or just scramble them in.

Just collect your eggs regularly and you'll have nothing to worry about. An egg has to be incubated before it can turn into a chick.

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by