roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Countrypunk92, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Just read a thread and people was posting if you socialize your roosters with people, or *petify* that yhe WILL be aggressive??

2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Not necessarily, but if a rooster doesn't respect you, then he might be more inclined to be aggressive with you when he protecting his hens or something.

3. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    It seemed like they was saying that if you petify them that they will be agressive or think you are of of his hens... i would think that spending time and imprenting on them would make them less agressive and such. My barred rocj roo is already petified. He loves to talk to me and let me rub his wattle. He is 8 weeks. Along with my pullets

4. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:What is seems like is that roosters are unpredictable. Surprise, surprise. [​IMG] And results vary because lots of people end up with all sorts of different situations that work or don't work. It really just depends.

My experience is that the roosters that are pet-ified do end up being aggressive and scary. Although you do not need to pet-ify a rooster to get him to be aggressive because they can be aggressive all on their own.

The roosters I don't give any special attention to, avoid eye contact with, etc., have a better chance of not thinking I'm another rooster interested in taking off with his hens or that I am a hen myself. These are usually good roosters who never attack or even peck at me and I can move freely throughout the flock while free ranging or feeding while in the pen. Of course, I don't walk straight towards him, I give him an escape route when moving about, I respect his space, I don't pick up his hens where he can see me, etc.

Someone did a study somewhere, but it was with mammals, like goats or something, and the males (not females) that are bottle fed are much more likely to try to mate with the one who bottle fed them. There seems to be some sort of confusion that comes from being taken care of by an animal that is not of your species.

But do what works for you because a lot depends on you and what you feel comfortable with. Those roosters are just full of surprises.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by