Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 10_is_enough, Jun 5, 2011.

1. 10_is_enough

10_is_enough Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I am so new to this chicken thing you all will think I'm crazy [​IMG] Anyway, we have 10 bantams and I am trying to figure out the breed of them yet, but know for sure of 2 dutches, 3 OEG's, 3 silkie's, and 2 have no ideas...anyway, one of the Old English is a rooster and is obviously "head of the pack", or whatever the proper term is. I keep reading bad things about roosters and that most people tend to give them away. Is this necessary? Yes, he pecks at the others some, but it seems like only when I grab one to hold and then put it back or when one tries to get to the food and water I just put in before hand. I just want the stories cleared up. I don't know if I have other roosters yet, they are only about 6 weeks old.

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    This will be a learning experience for you. You may get lucky and have a roo that YOU can get along with. I raised my roo from an egg and befriended it as I did the other chicks. Unfortunately when it matured it had no fear of me and saw me as a threat to his harem. He did a great job of protecting his girls but would attact me and my wife. He crowed the most beautiful crow but the neighbors didn't appreciate it. Some one called the City and I got a warning to get rid of the boy. I finally relented (city ordanance won) and gave the roo to a farmer who lives out in the country. Good Luck!!! I hope it works and you keep your roo.

3. 10_is_enough

May 16, 2011
    So I suppose the basics is to just see how he is. I know he is young, and he doesn't attack me...yet. The crowing I'm not worried about, we live on a farm in the middle of wisconsin somewhere, so I think we are safe. What about if there are others, or would I have noticed by now? So frustrating not to be able to post pictures yet, you all seem to know so much and I would love to just spend a few hours getting the info I need. Anyway, I appreciate your response. I have heard that some are easy to get along with and others are terrible. I suppose I just have to wait to find out. If I do have to get rid of him, what then??

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Heres my thoughts about a rooster for what is worth. I have what I consider a good roo. He protects his girls as best he can meaning its hard for him to watch over 10 hens while free ranging everyday. The hens are back & forth to the coop laying eggs & grabbing some feed here & there. The girl lays & egg starts singing the egg song & Freddy runs to the coop & gets her & brings her back to the flock. Poor guy is wore out by the end of the day. Freddy finds them food & always feeds it to the girls never eats any. He never attacks me but he does get mad at me when I try & handle the girls in other words I could see him attack me if I keep messing with his girls but he hasn't. If he did attack me for messing with his girls I would not put him in the freezer because in my mind he is only trying to protect his flock. That's all he knows 24/7 365 days a year. He does have a few bad habits that I will not mention for fear of the responses I would get. All in all Freddy does a good job.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest doing just that. Wait and see how he is and what else you have. The only reason you NEED a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Other than that, it is just pure personal preference. Some flocks do fine without a rooster, even free ranging in the middle of true farm country. Others really like having a rooster around.

If you have to get rid of him, you have some options. You can eat him. Or you can give him away, maybe through Craigslist or a note on the bulletin board at the feed store. But once you give him away, his is not yours to control anymore.

6. 10_is_enough

May 16, 2011
    Eating him is out of the question. So, for now, I will just wing it and see where it leads me. It's great to get advise from the experts! And we don't want a rooster for the eggs. We just wanted chickens to help out with bug control and because it sounded fun since we moved to a farm. One day at a time!!

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I kept strictly female flocks for years. I had aggression issues with ganders and overly amorous drakes, so I decided that males had no place here. A rooster came in last year in a batch of sexed pullets, and I decided (against my better judgement) to give him a try. Over time he made the other males look tame in comparison. He was an unholy terror. He has since been removed, and I am back to keeping strictly female flocks again. It works out better for everyone here. My young child and her friends can play with all the birds without fearing for their lives. I can work with all the birds without worrying about being jumped from behind. Guests can come and go unmolested. Peaceful. Quiet. Bliss.

I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by