Roosters

2overeasy000

Songster
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
I have never had one and don't know what they are like. I am allowed to have them here, but not sure if I want one. We got 6 new pullets that we will be posting pics of later. So are they really that loud? Do they really start crowing at 3am? Do they beat up the hens? What are ya'll experiences with roosters? Thanks.

Yes they do crow and if you live in a quiet neighborhood your neighbors might not appreciate you that. Some are rough with the hens but a good rooster will be more of a lookout for them and keep peace among the ladies.

http://www.suburbanhomesteading.com/keeping-roosters-%E2%80%93-quietly-and-responsibly/barn

you
can read this, and it should answer your questions...

I raised 9 last year, not by choice, a mix up with the pullet/roo pens apparently! They all crowed...kinda fun to hear
Now I have 3, for my 16 pullets...I will re homing one of them...2 is all I need.

They are not too loud, you sort of enjoy it..unless they are right at your back screen door! LOL

Other posters may have other opinions..and yes, mine do crow early, but not at 3 am...more like 430 am!
wee.gif

Thanks for the info. We have 7 laying hens right now and just got 6 more pullets. At least they were supposed to be pullets, but if one turns out to be male, I'm trying to figure out if we will want to keep it or not. I'm not sure how much louder their crow is than the ladies egg songs. If it is really loud and really early that will def. be a con. We have no plans to raise chicks right now. But, I do think they look great and seem to have cool personalities and I like that they are protectors too. We have a 115 lb protector right now, our Bullmastiff. She comes out every morning with me to change the water and fill the feeders and when we let them out to free range she is always out their with the ladies. I'm not actively looking for a rooster, at least I don't think so, but if one of these "pullets" turn out to be a roo, I'm trying to think ahead. So, thanks again for any advice and info.

I think it depends on the rooster. I ended up with two and one of them was already being rough with my hens at barely 18 weeks old. The oldest one pinned one of my sweet little Faverolles and was laying into her. They're both gone now, I can't stand to hear a hen screaming like that.
sad.png

Quote:
Curious about what breed they were? Or if that matters at all? The one that I am most curious about is the Speckled Sussex who already has a dark comb and wattles showing at 7 weeks old. Anyone have Speckled Sussex rooster info?

Every rooster will have a different tempermant (although some breeds are known to be better with certain traits). My roo turned out calm and doesnt start crowing til around 6:30am. They do crow throughout the day though. I couldnt be without one where i live now; if you are surrounded by woods and thus predators, they will stand and protect with their lives. Plus, i think they have awesome personalities...i think every roo is in love with themselves (prenes and loves mirrors).

Is the crow much louder than the egg songs? One of the things that has caught my interest was what I have read about their personalities, too. Also, I am surrounded by a lot of wooded areas but, have 2 neighbors on one corner of my property who I would prefer not to annoy and not be annoyed myself at the same time. This will be a hard decision I think.

I have about 25 or so roosters here ranging from 10 weeks to unknown age adult. The oldest is a SLW and the next 3 in line are Red Sex Links about 18 weeks old. The SLW is skittish around humans and non-aggressive with my girls and humans, the way I prefer my roos to be. He's an excellent watch bird and will alert to even the slightest threat. The 3 RSLs are very friendly so far, but I have some concerns that their friendliness will turn into aggression soon, but so far I couldn't be happier. They don't start crowing until they hear me walk out to open the coop in the morning, usually between 6:30 and 7:30, but the SLW crows throughout the entire day quite often. Then I have got some austrolorps that are very skittish and will not let me get anywhere near them but they were rescues. And my barred rocks are the most evil roosters I have ever had, but they were also rescues and says nothing in comparison to a roo that has been well taken care of. They peck and will draw blood if given the chance and I can only feed and water them through the fence. They will be butchered in about three weeks, as I have no tolerance for an aggressive rooster.

I agree with everyone else though, each rooster will have a different temperament and personality, but if you do end up with one, you shouldn't feel that you need to keep him if he is aggressive either towards you or your girls.

Quote:
Thanks again for the info. I def. would not be keeping anything that is trying to draw blood from the hand that feeds. Compared to hens egg songs are the crows that much louder? Or comparable?

Back
Top Bottom