Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mei&Popcorn, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read that some people kick their roosters when they're aggressive... I don't have any roosters but I'm wondering if it hurts them or anything. Could they get hurt from it? Break a bone? Or do they just use their wings to fly away and avoid most of the damage?

2. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I believe that it all depends on where you kick and how hard. I'm sure that there have been cases of someone kicking and killing a rooster. I prefer to never kick anything that is smaller than me, unless I have no other choice.

3. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    I have a roo that was used for cock fighting [​IMG] but he LOVES to flock you no matter what and we have kinda [​IMG] kicked him when he jumps up we throw our foot out and he smacks in and falls then i will hold him with my foot just enough to keep him down so i can pick him up to get food and water buckets but it is funny lol all my other chickens try to look over to see the circus act going on in the next pen but no i have never kicked a rooster to hurt them or anything else unless they act first and i do it soft enough where all it really does is upset them that they can get me

4. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    I would think it's more of a lift and toss with your foot rather than an actual... KICK, you're not trying to hurt them, just show them you're not gonna take their crap!

5. CockadoodlePoo

CockadoodlePoo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    New Jersey
    My Coop
    I have the unfortunate ratio of 3 roosters and 2 hens. My two leghorn roosters are quite aggressive but my RIR Rooster would rather stay away from me. When I open the coop to let the ladies out I have to keep one foot up to give the Leghorn roosters a target (other than my face) to attack if they feel like it! I have kicked the roos gently to get them off and one time my wife smacked the bejeezus out of our alpha male "Roofus" to keep him from eating her. They seem fine! and I'm growing less and less concerned about their "feelings" haha.

6. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do you kick them? I'm really curious, I guess these little chickens are tougher than I thought they were! [​IMG]

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Mine comes at me with his chest out, so when he gets kicked, it's with my booted shin, kindof lifted off the ground, like a volleyball carry, from the side of his chest near his leg. Once, I got him a bit hard and was very concerned that I had hurt him instead of just wounded his pride. He slinked off into the corner. But, that was a long time ago and he's not any worse the wear. But, I wouldn't ever aim at him with my toes, or even my foot. I can't imagine that pointy weapon not hurting him.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The one time I kicked my roo with gusto 3 times and then walloped him over the head with a walking stick (long story and no, I don't normally abuse my animals), he was fine. I know this because I processed him the next day. There were no broken bones and no bruises. The same could not be said for me- I had a line of bruises up my leg and a nice gouge in my leg through my canvas pants.

Yeah, he was an unholy terror, but delicious in the end.

9. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

At our home, where we have children, when a Roo shows ANY aggression towards people he is gone. No kicking, hitting or carrying him around..... In a crate to the auction or off to freezer camp. Loads of nice Roos need homes.

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Of course it could hurt him. The foot is much more of a weapon than what he would normally deal with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by