Roosters..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BPERRY9, Dec 19, 2011.

1. BPERRY9

BPERRY9 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm pretty new to the whole raising chickens thing so bare with me here. To start my question off, I was under the imperssion that hens would lay without needing a rooster so i had 10 hens and 1 rooster(they were supposed to be all hens). Well thinking I would still get egg production if I didn't have roosters I got rid of my 2 roosters and ever since then I haven't had even a single egg... any suggestions? Was I way off base thinking I would still get eggs without roosters? Thanks for any advice!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You are correct - roosters are only needed if you want fertilized eggs for hatching chicks. How long has it been since you got rid of your roosters? Change of about any kind can result (temporarily) in a decrease in egg production. But it also could be coincidence. This time of year many hens (especially w/hens that are more than a year old) stop or greatly decrease in egg production due to molting and the short daylight hours.
    How old are your hens, and how recently did you rehome your roosters?

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:x2

4. BPERRY9

BPERRY9 New Egg

Dec 19, 2011
    The roosters have been gone for about 2 weeks now I believe... The hens were this years hatch, if I remember correctly they are about 6-7 months old and were laying very regularly. Then the roosters disappeared and so did the eggs [​IMG] thank you for the replies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by