Roosters???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madjohn85, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I know when we got our Plymouth Barred, I thought maybe one of them was a rooster.

Yous guys told me to look at the feet and if there was no black on them it was a roo.

There was none, and I knew it!!

Here is my question...

There is another chick and the 2 of them seem to have the same crown. It is bigger than the other 12 chicks and they are a gray and white color as opposed to the almost black and white colored Barred. Do I have 2 roosters??!!??!

I will try to take some pictures, but I have a sneaky feeling...[​IMG]

Not that I don't want a roo, we cannot have one in our town. And now I have to look for a home for TWO roos, when I am having a hard time finding one for one of them. :::sigh:::

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi MadJohn-

I am going through the same thing right now, with my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks, and also my Buckeyes. I am not sure about the sex of any of them yet, so I just have to let them mature until I know.

I'm in Ohio, and I get rid of my roosters through Craigs List. If you offer them for free, they'll be gone very quickly. Ask for a little cash, and nobody wants them. We also have animal auctions in a nearby town that I could take them to. I might do that this year.

If you take some pics, be sure to get a good pic of the entire chick so we can look it over. I have my suspicions with mine of which ones are roosters, but I'm not getting rid of them until I'm absolutely 100% sure they're not females.

Take care,
    Sharon

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm super sorry about you having what seems to be another rooster. Pictures would really do well, but how big you described him..
    I know there's some people who don't enjoy giving their roosters away as meat, it's what I had to do, my hatchery Plymouth Rock I got several years ago was so darn mean, and was a rooster. So we gave him to somebody who would use him. That also happened with a Dorking of ours, we gave him to our neighbors and they used him for meat. I hope you find a home for the little roo..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by