roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by saildog, Oct 16, 2012.

1. saildog

saildog Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    I ended up with 3 roosters and 20 hens, I know this is a bit over the norm and not what I ordered ( 1 rooster )
    1 rooster is by far the leader and will peck the hens if they try to eat near him and they will all just shy away from him. They free range though so he is the one that alerts them to danger all the time. If I cull him from the group will one of the other roosters just become more agressive to replace him? I sort of want to get rid of him, I can pick him up, he does go after my dog already. He is 6 months old and noe one is laying eggs yet. Thoughts ??

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In the presence of a lead rooster, the others tend to hang back. Once the lead rooster is gone, a new head rooster will typically surface.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Since rooster is about 6 months old, he will soon settle down and be much better around hens and reserve his aggression for the other two roosters. All three roosters are likely to get sweet with hens at that time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by