roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gimmie birdies, Feb 12, 2013.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think roosters have a bad rap. If you raise them young and feed them treats and hold them they will be friendly. I have had many roosters that were my favorite chickens. My most recent rooster, a mixed breed that looked just like a Delaware, his name was DNA, he would come running expecting to be picked up or given a treat, all I had to do was call "DEE-en-AA! sweety!

Okay, you may say, what about the crowing? I had a small cabinet in my coop that the roosters would sleep in. the cabinet is darker, and he could not stretch his neck to crow and I got plenty of sleep. To be kind to may neighbors I would wait until 10 AM to let out my rooster and put him away by 6 PM.

What about hen damage? I would let my hens out at 6:30 AM and let the rooster out at 10 or 10:30, my hens would eat, enjoy the morning to themselves, roosters are randiest in the morning.

I also loved to see the courtship the rooster would bring the hens, and they would protect them too.

I hope everyone can consider a rooster with these tips.

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Ive had my cockerel form day one as he was raised by his mother and he was always my favouraite, i give him treats and stroked him etc and yesterday he attacked me :/

3. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    When they do that you cannot back down, but don't play his game. If my roosters ever acted like they were going to attack me, I never ran from them or play fought with them, I would just go and pick him up. I think most people think it is funny to play fight with the rooster, and then the rooster thinks you are his worthy opponent.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    I dont think i will prick him up when hes thinking about attacking because if i bend down he might go for my face....

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    roosters like sneaky attack, they will come right up to you and pretend to eat grain by your foot when you are not looking they will jump you. try holding him in the evening when you can, maybe even make him sleep in a cabinet away from the hens, the he knows you control him. carry him out in the mornings then set him down. also don't let him mate in front of you. If i ever saw a rooster trying to mate in front of me I'd throw a pine cone at him or a empty milk jug. see if those work.

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    oh also if you head right toward him he WILL back away like I said if he attacks you he likes to be sneaky about it.

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    and no fear they can sense it.

8. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    I always knew he was thinking about it because he walked up to me to the side pecking the ground and did the mating dance around my leg, i always knew it was a matter of time before he attacked. I will see how he acts with me tomorrow but i defintley wont back down!

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't believe all Roosters are bad, it's like drakes. You must establish your boundaries as you said. I still have no plans to ever add one though, just no need too, but i think it does depend on the circumstances and Roosters should be thoroughly researched before being brought in not just going by myths and misconceptions as the abound.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I never had to throw a pine cone at a rooster I coddled though. and my coddled roos were wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by