roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kidarcy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. kidarcy

kidarcy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    do roosters have favorite hens?? i've got a few ladies that are more beaten up then others. any way to calm the big boy down other than clipping spurs? do you recommend that?

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    You can get hens saddles for when theur backs go bald. I do think they have favouraite hens, mine seem to anyways but ive not had any with bald backs yet...

3. kidarcy

Sep 1, 2010
    i've got two with bald backs

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    They are probablies the roosters favouraite to mate then. You can get them chicken saddles untill their feathers come back :)

5. BubbaDman

BubbaDman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    SW Georgia
    how many roos do you have sometimes you may need to seperate if you have to many roos in with to few hens as the roosters will pick on the hens if they are not the dominate rooster

6. kidarcy

Sep 1, 2010
    one rooster to 11 hens.....

7. SigningChickens

SigningChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a noob to chickens and a neighbor's roo keeps wandering over and wooing my hen. He is kind of a rolling stone in the neighborhood and he seems to want to settle down with us. He is very nice to my hen, 4 pullets, and two chicks. My only issue is that he keeps digging shallow holes in my grass! Why is he doing this? He seems to be presenting them to my hen. How can I make him stop?

8. SigningChickens

SigningChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Then neighbor said we can keep him. He is two years old and not "head rooster"'at home. I'm guessing that is why he roams?
    Can roosters have STDs? I'm not sure how many other hens he is wooing in addition to mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by