1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by panda1, Dec 13, 2013.

1. panda1

panda1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    I have four rooster and four hens all about five to six months old.
    Tonight when I went out to feed my chickens, one of the roosters came out. These are orpington birds. This bird is white and black. I noticed his neck is bloody. Now what?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Four roosters and four hens is at least 3 roosters too many. Now that they are maturing they will fight for dominance. With that many roosters there is potential for injury to your hens.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I agree with Sourland. You'll have to either get a lot more hens and give them plenty space or choose a rooster and rehome the other 3. They are at that age where they are going to start wanting to fight over the hens and trust me, it's not going to be pretty.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    If he has blood on him, but they are no longer fighting, it is likely he has found his place in the rooster pecking order and will not fight again.

I have 4 roosters and 7 hens and they all get on great, and have done for well over 2 years.

Most grew up together, but one rooster was added........then they got fighting, but soon sorted themselves out. I made sure there were no serious injuries.

Just keep an eye on them. If there are no serious fights, and the hens seem healthy in in good feather condition, then leave them be.

If they free range most of the time there is likely going to be few if any problems. However, if they are cooped up for long periods, or confined to a run, then they will get into fights as they have no space to keep a respectful distance from each other.

Usually only the dominant rooster will mate with the hens. If another one tires to mate, then he will be chased off by the dominant one.

If you hens start to get missing feathers off their backs then you will have to get rid of most of the roosters and just keep one.

5. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    Just watch them if possible. You can tell who is and who isn't going to make it in the coop. Right now, I have 3 hens/4 pullet ratio to 2 roosters. I just added a 3rd cockerel. Different breed. I am letting the main roosters handle his training. So far, he's doing well. I stepped back for now, and go into the run less.

I also have 2 breeding pens out and about. Chicken tractors. 1 roo/1 hen in each. They pretty much keep to their own territory, although they all know each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by