1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JustinaMarie, Feb 7, 2014.

1. JustinaMarie

JustinaMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    Not sure if this is where to put this but I just bought two barred rock hens and two Speckled Sussex hens. I didn't get the roosters still deciding because I wasn't sure if they would breed right with two different types of hens? would i have to seperate them? not sure any imput would be good. I dont know if i explained that very good. There not full grown yet i dont think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

You do not need a certain kind of rooster to breed. All roosters of any breed will breed with all hens of any breed.

HS Pye

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Are you saying you want to get a cockerel of each type and breed the two types? If so then you'd have to separate them into different pens.

Or are you wondering if it matters if a cockerel of a different breed breeds another? Absolutely not, the offspring will just be mix.

Of course with the two breeds you have you'll be able to tell the difference in egg color (Sussex should be creamy) so if you only wanted to breed more of one type then get that cockerel and only incubate that breeds eggs.

PS, by the looks of your pullets you've got some weeks left before they start laying.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. JustinaMarie

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    yeah March he said. I wanted roosters for the same breed so I guess id have to seperate them. I'm getting an incubator soon and wouldn't mind hatching some more of them when they lay

5. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    While I am not yet experienced in this, all the information I've read indicates that a rooster with only two hens over any sort of extended time period will result in naked-backed hens who never get any peace. Even one rooster with four hens is likely to strip their feathers off.

The usual recommended rooster to hen ratios seem to range between 6 and 15 hens per rooster according to the rooster's size, age, and temperament.

6. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Some of my best chickens are Mutts, or mixed. That said you need lots more hens for a Roo, and be ready to process mean/overmating roos. Or just have girls.

7. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    x2

8. JustinaMarie

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    I have another coop with silkys and when I first got them I got all roosters and one hen bad luck lol and two of the roosters we had to get rid of meaning kill them. My silky rooster hes very nice but I seen the nasty side of the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by