Roosters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sprinrush, Jul 28, 2014.

1. sprinrush

sprinrush Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    How long does a rooster live, I have had one for 10 years and he was not young when I got him. any answers??

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. On average, roostes live 7 to 12 years, occasionally up to 15 years, depending on the breed and the care they receive. The world's record is 22 years. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of rooster do you have?

3. sprinrush

sprinrush Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    He is just a big white one, he has big long spurs. some neighbors got busted for having a cock fights. I think that is where he came from. because someone had cut off his comb and his waddle. . He was sitting on my deep freeze and I went and got him some chicken feed. he stayed on my porch for 2 years, going out in the field and coming back into my yard.. Hawks were after him all the time so I had the neighbors build him a pen, He did not like the pen, so I went and got him some ladies.. they all died from old age or this and that.. I keep getting him more so he does not have to be alone. That is how I got into the chicken business, Now I enjoy having them around. Of course they get out every day. He still comes and sits on my swing with me to visit before he goes back to herding his ladies. I don't have a clue what kind he is. but always wanted to know how long they lived.. Thanks for replying

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. If you would like to know what breed your big white rooster is, post a picture of him (full body profile showing legs and tail) and hopefully we can identify him for you. Good luck with your flock.

5. sprinrush

sprinrush Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    OK I will as soon as Iearn more about getting around in this site..
    Thanks

6. Wow 10 years he is one healthy bird ....

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, that is a long time! Some breeds do live longer than others. I know that some Barred Rocks can live to be 15 years old if kept well.

Enjoy your old boy and welcome to our flock!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

The normal life span of a chicken is about 5-10 years. Some though can live up to 15 or even 20!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a remarkable rooster, I think the ladies are making him feel young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: