Roosters!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mccluckers, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hi guys I have a mixed flock of 8 hens/Pullets 1 rooster. The rooster is a standard,3 of the hens are bantams the rest standards. The rooster has become very aggresive with the bantam hens when mating and I am worried he may hurt them. I would like to rehome him and get a bantam rooster but will he protect the hens, warn them of Hawks as they are in an open pen? If anyone has any experience with this please reply!
    Thanks

2. cnicho05

cnicho05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Owosso, MI
    Hello,

Last summer I had two Sebright Bantam roosters...and they were like any other rooster. They were very aggressive towards a neighborhood cat who liked to visit their run...you shouldn't have any problems...

3. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk

Did I they warn the hens of Ariel predators? Maybe 2 would be better? If they grow up together that might work

4. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Does anyone else have any experience?

5. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    My rooster is a Sebright and he is extremely protective of his Polish ladies against EVERYTHING. However, he can still be pretty rough on their feathers when mating despite the size difference between them. I can't speak to his watching for aerial predators as I know we have hawks and an owl around our area, so I cover the top of their run.

6. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Thanks my run isn't covered.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You might want to think about covering it. Your rooster might be able to warn the hens to get them in the coop, but would not stand a chance against a determined hawk or owl. If you're willing to sacrifice your rooster, then don't worry about it.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The breed may play a part here, not simply "bantam". Speaking very generally, the feather footed rooster seem to be more docile. A clean legged bantam male might be more alert and assertive about warning and protecting his ladies. Again, this is a very broad generalization.

9. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Thank you both for you replies, at the moment I am looking into OEGB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by