Roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lizardboy55, Jan 31, 2015.

1. lizardboy55

lizardboy55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello All,

I really want a rooster but we cannot have the noise. I like them to protect the hens and participate in the hatch-a-longs. I have a few questions that I am having trouble finding online.

-Do you recommend the No Crow Rooster Collar? Is it worth it? That's the closest and nicest thing I can find to keep one from crowing.

-What rooster do you recommend? Please allow it to fit the following;

-Will get along with people it does not recognize.
    -Is not flighty so I don't have to clip the flight feathers.
    -Will allow me to pick him up without a problem.
    -Will protect the girls.
    -Will not see the dog as a threat.
    -Will get along with other chickens of other breeds.

Thanks for all your help!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Why can you not have the noise? Are roosters legal where you are? If not, I'd quit looking for one right now. I would not have a rooster if I had to stop it from crowing, because I don't think it's fair to the bird.

As for your questions - it's hard to recommend any specific breed. Some breeds are calmer than others, sure, but they are all individuals so it's hard to generalize. I'll answer a couple based on my experience. If your dog and rooster are acclimated to one another and the dog is trained and trustworthy to leave your birds alone, he may not see the dog as a threat. Most breeds will get along with other breeds. Chickens don't seem to much care about that....

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am not a fan of restricting the birds ability to produce sounds. All such if done to a human would be illegal when not done to self.

You can compensate many ways for not having a rooster as a flock protector.

You can still do the hatch along. Either get fertile eggs from someone and place them under your broody hen or take your hen in lay to some one with a rooster one time per week for conjugal visits.until she goes broody.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm really surprised you'd recommend this @centrarchid , due to your stances in biosecurity......
    ...and do you really think conjugal visits will make a hen go broody?

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

The conjugal visits will not make hen go broody but will enable eggs to hatch when she does. When I allow a hen to be covered once per week most of the eggs will hatch, once every three days and hatch rate is same as continuous exposure. I am used to hens that go broody predictably enough for such to work and for now making assumption OP has hens with similar potential. The method was (past tense) also a form of chicken thievery where you could slip in some good hens to be bred by particular cocks of a rival that a rival would not sell you.

The biosecurity conflict must take into account the inherent risks. My flock has a lot invested in it and high inherent value. OP does need to explore biosecurity but I will not push my position unless asked for advise or see a strong reason to offer it. All this is a balancing act and the OP is out to self educate which for me means some rules can be suspended. All aspects of OP's activities indicate an interest in maintenance of the learning phase.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A rooster's ability to protect hens is based on the fact he keeps watch and warns them of unusual activity. If his vocal ability is restricted, how can he warn the hens of danger?

If you can't have roosters, hatching is a risky proposition.....what are you going to do with all the cockerels?

I agree if roosters are illegal where you live, just give it up. I'd sure be unhappy if my neighbors were keeping illegal animals or otherwise breaking the rules of the area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by