Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hillbillydan, Mar 20, 2015.

1. hillbillydan

hillbillydan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    Florida
    I've had a bantam Cochin roo, since we've had our flock, added a few other here and there and had a issue once or twice. But that was only if we added a mature roo. Last year we added some chicks like we've done in the past and of course a few out of the group were roos. My sister rescued this brother and sister set from the vet. They were left in a box overnight. Anyways, they turned out to be beautiful lavender birds. But the rooster is a full size standard breed. He's the only one we've had a problem with that was added as a chick. He's more than twice the size of our original roo and beat him up pretty bad. We've taken the sweet bantam out from the pen so he wouldn't get hurt further. Now my question is, what can I do to get the pecking order back to a friendly level? I know separating them for 3 days was a good idea, but I couldn't take the other roos out either. So I'm trying to reintroduce the bantam which isn't alpha anymore back to the flock without him getting killed. There's 3 roos that are bigger than him and 2 that are smaller. I have a 2nd coop, I just have to build a run, to officially separate my standards from my bantams. But they may be a week or 2. Any suggestions on a quick fix for the interim? I have him in a small quarantine coop by himself for now. Thanks in advance!

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    There's no quick fix (and maybe no fix at all once he's been separated from the flock). You might give him a hen or two to keep him company in the quarantine coop in the meantime.

3. hillbillydan

Jun 18, 2014
    Florida
    Do you think he'll over work them? It's only big enough for 3 birds, 4 would be pushing it.

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    He'll be much happier w/some company. Breeders often keep a trio penned together. So they should be fine.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    When you start moving birds between pens, you'll usually have some pecking order issues.
    A lot depends on the individual birds, you have to 'play it by ear' and adjust accordingly.

What is your goal with 5 roosters/cockerels and how many hens/pullets?
    Multiple males in a flock are usually going to fight unless they have lots of space.

I keep a few wire dog crates around to separate out aggressive birds if need be,
    if a bird starts drawing serious blood from another bird or is just causing major disruption without cease.....
    .......then they usually go to the soup pot.

6. hillbillydan

Jun 18, 2014
    Florida
    Well I have 29 hens and 6 roosters right now. About 20 of which are standard big birds and the other 15 are bantams and 1 small docile Polish hen. I am looking at building them all 1 big coop and pen, segragated between sizes. This is the first time that I've had one that I've raised try to beat up on our original alpha male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by