1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixforkix, Mar 30, 2015.

1. chixforkix

chixforkix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    those of you who have small flocks and use your chickens for eggs, do you have a rooster too?

2. Stoili

Stoili Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    RI
    Yes. 5 hens 1 rooster.

Rooster does a good job of watching over the hens.

3. chixforkix

Mar 22, 2015
    And it doesn't make any difference to the eggs right?

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Depends on what you mean by difference.......

I dont' notice any difference in the taste/color of the eggs. But you will have fertile, but as long as they are kept cool they will not develop. Fertile eggs have a small white spot/circle on the yoke, that is all you'll see when you crack them into the pan. the clumpy white stuff(snot) that you sometimes see in the egg white has nothing to do with fertile or not.

My daughter, who is a vegan, will not eat our eggs if we have a rooster since they are fertile and they will turn into living beings with the proper care. But when we don't have a rooster she will eat them as they are just going to go to waste since they will never be anything but an infertile egg that will eventually rot.

I'm on my 2nd rooster right now with 6 hens. First rooster went psycho and ended taking a vacation to freezer camp. Hopefully this new one will stay mellow but won't know for a while yet. I want to raise my own eggs so need a rooster for that.

5. chixforkix

Mar 22, 2015

Thank you!

6. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    No rooster for us. We have three hens that are 11 months old and three chicks that are 12 days old. If one is a boy, he goes to the "chicken swap" our feed store has once a month. We live in a neighborhood with 1/3 to 1/2 acre parcels and I think a rooster would get too noisy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by