roosting all day

LadyGunnar

Chirping
May 30, 2019
utah
I have 2 hens that roost most of the day. They come down for 2-4 hours and then back up. I have 4 hens in totally. These hens are 2 and the bosses. There is nothing that I can see wrong with them or the coop and run. This started happening a few months ago.

Are they just becoming grumpy old ladies?

How old are they?

Are they still laying eggs?

Where are you located?

How big is your coop and your run?

Do they have s place outdoors that is protected from the elements, or is the coop the only place for protection?

Any recent attacks or presence of wildlife, like a raccoon visiting, or neighbor dogs?

How old are they?

Are they still laying eggs?

Where are you located?

How big is your coop and your run?

Do they have s place outdoors that is protected from the elements, or is the coop the only place for protection?

Any recent attacks or presence of wildlife, like a raccoon visiting, or neighbor dogs?

They are 2. One lays everyday. She is a wyandotte. The other lays maybe twice a week. But she has never been a good layer.
The coop is 5 by 15. The run is 18 by 25. There are only four hens. I have 9 chicks in a smaller coop and run that they can see.

My dog is in the yard and they can see him. He likes their food but is afraid of them.
I am in Utah. It's been in the 80s during the day and 50s at night.

Well, you have plenty of room! Temp/weather should not be an issue. Dogs - not an issue if they are afraid of them, and are not harassing them, besides they are probably quite used to them anyway. At 2, the heritage breeds (like Wyandotte) should still be laying ok.

Do you think they are molting? When was their last molt?

Also, are they acting lethargic or different (ok, the roosting is different)?

Wondering about mites. Have you checked their vent areas and under wings for parasites, like avian lice or the base of their feathers near the vent for mites and mite eggs? The mite eggs look like heavy dust clustered around the base of the feather shafts. Scaly leg mites will cause the scales on their legs to "fluff" up - look different.

Check their feet for bumble foot. It is a bacterial infection - often you will see a black dot or "plug" at the point of infection on the bottom of their feet. You can google "bumblefoot" to see pics.

Lastly, are they eating a drinking normally? A normal amount of feed?

Well, you have plenty of room! Temp/weather should not be an issue. Dogs - not an issue if they are afraid of them, and are not harassing them, besides they are probably quite used to them anyway. At 2, the heritage breeds (like Wyandotte) should still be laying ok.

Do you think they are molting? When was their last molt?

Also, are they acting lethargic or different (ok, the roosting is different)?

Wondering about mites. Have you checked their vent areas and under wings for parasites, like avian lice or the base of their feathers near the vent for mites and mite eggs? The mite eggs look like heavy dust clustered around the base of the feather shafts. Scaly leg mites will cause the scales on their legs to "fluff" up - look different.

Check their feet for bumble foot. It is a bacterial infection - often you will see a black dot or "plug" at the point of infection on the bottom of their feet. You can google "bumblefoot" to see pics.

Lastly, are they eating a drinking normally? A normal amount of feed?

Last fall for a molt. They eat and drink fine. I can't see anything wrong with them. I have checked them over for mites and other bugs. Feet look good. I cannot find anything wrong with them.

When they are out of the coop they act fine. They talk to me while roosting. It just weird the way they are roosting all day.

Last fall for a molt. They eat and drink fine. I can't see anything wrong with them. I have checked them over for mites and other bugs. Feet look good. I cannot find anything wrong with them.

When they are out of the coop they act fine. They talk to me while roosting. It just weird the way they are roosting all day.

Yes. It is good that they are healthy. Might just be some new behavior. At least you have ruled out the obvious stuff. The only time I had a pullet hang out in the coop was one that was not assertive and would get pestered by the others - nothing terrible - just stayed out of everyone's way. That one finally integrated into the flock and it is no longer an issue. But, does not sound like this is what is going on for you.

Back
Top Bottom