1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting already??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Firefly, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    My 6 little RIRs will be 2 weeks this Friday, and already seem to want to roost. When I take the top off the box to clean and feed they all fly up to the edge to roost (it's about 12" high!). Is it too soon to put a little roost in the box for them? And if so, what would be best to use at this age?

I'm hoping this will help keep them off their food dish-- I've tried elevating it and it's not working!

2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Mine started roosting on a little flat roost (about 1.5" by 10") I made from scrap wood in their 2nd week, I think. It is about 4" off the floor and they all love it. I set it so that one end is under the light, and the other is radiating away from the light like a sunbeam so that they can pick where on the roost is the right temperature for them to sit.

-MTchick

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yepp at 2wks old they start wanting to roost.an try out their little wingletts.beware now theyll fly out of the brooder.while your feeding an watering them.

4. Firefly

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    MTChick-- thanks for the idea! I'll put one together for them tomorrow.

Wynedot-- funny you should say that, because after I posted this when I went up to change the water, one flew right out! I couldn't believe she cleared the box. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a roost bar in my brooder and I always have one or two that will fly up there and can balance at about a week old. It's amazing, isn't it?

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    dont ya just hate it when they escape.an you gotta catch emm lolol.

7. cookie_chick

cookie_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Australia
    yea when i open mine she just jumps on the top of the box and she's about.....

hmmmm.......

almost 3 weeks

she started at the age of 1 week!

she knocks her food and water over all the time is that normal?

i hope ive been at help [​IMG]

8. Firefly

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    They really are amazing little creatures. I've grown so attached to them already!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by