Roosting at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mwat, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mwat

mwat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Hi everyone!

When Michael and I first got our chooks we were not well researched at all and didn't think twice about the chooks sleeping in the nesting box all night.

Our one adult hen still sleeps in the nesting box but our new chicks start the evening by sitting on the perch. Edith then sorts them out by pushing them all down and they sleep on the ground with her.

What should I do? When do chicks usually leave their mothers warmth to roost with the flock at night? Should I be blocking off the nesting boxes at night?

Confused :'(

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I usually allow my hens that are raising chicks to sleep in the nestboxes for as long as they want. But once mom weans them, they get kicked out of the nest box every night by me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. mwat

mwat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks guys! So will the chicks eventually roost at night when they're ready even though Efith has always slept in the boxes?
    If they all end up sleeping down in the nesting boxes, is this going to be a problem for laying? If not I'm obviously happy to leave them to there own devices, just wanted to make sure I'm doing the best I can for them.

We have four nesting boxes and six chickens.

Thanks for your help everyone :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by