Roosting bar 12" from wall. Check. But...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cathiesue, Feb 27, 2012.

1. cathiesue

cathiesue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Collinsville, OK
    I've got the first roost 12" from the wall. I've planned the second bar on the same level, not staggered. How far apart do the bars need to be from each other? I've got standard breeds. I've seen almost every other question I wanted answered but this one. :) Thanks.

2. cathiesue

Dec 7, 2011
    Collinsville, OK
    Was this a dumb question?

3. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    If you put them about two feet apart the more dominate hens won't be able to reach over an peck the submissive ones so easily.

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i'm glad to read about this. i think my coop is pretty good, but i think i have a roosting problem.

5. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Well, there sure are way worse problems to have! It's just nice to have roosts spaced so that they can't pick on each other so easily. I like peaceful!

6. cathiesue

Dec 7, 2011
    Collinsville, OK
    Thanks wren! I'm going back to the drawing board on this one. I don't have that much room. I guess I'll have to go staggered which I was trying to avoid. Appreciate you answer.

7. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  8. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    If you stagger them everyone is going crowd onto the highest roost anyway. No one wants to be the chicken closest to the floor, and potential predators....

9. cathiesue

Dec 7, 2011
    Collinsville, OK
    Wish a draw a picture. I'm re-purposing a child's playhouse. The back of the coop is 64" wide. So I'm good for 6-7 birds, I think. I can go about 12-15 more inches out and then I hit a window on both sides of the coop. The roof/ceiling prevents going above the window and below the window is too low. I'm getting chicks tomorrow so It will be a few month before its' really an issue. I was hoping to keep them on the same level so I could do the whole "Poop board" thing.

10. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Shoot, for 6-7 birds ONE 5 foot long roost is plenty! They will choose who they like to sleep next to. Problem solved. Make it wide enough 5" plus so they can put their entire foot on the board. Poop boards are cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by