Roosting bar space (depth)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by banjomoon, Jul 29, 2013.

1. banjomoon

banjomoon Chirping

May 11, 2013
    East Nashville
    My Coop
    I just permanently installed the roosting bar into my hen house. I wanted to leave space to add a second bar once my Marans get a bit bigger in case more space is needed. How far from the wall of the hen house should the roost be? Meaning, the bar is 8 inches from the front wall of the hen house. Is that enough depth? I guess the best test would be to see what they do tonight. I could have put it 18 inches or even a foot from the wall, but I thought I might add a second roost so I wanted the bar to be as close to the wall as possible.

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I have mine 6" from the wall, because of where the stud is where I wanted to attach the roost, and at 11 weeks they are already up against the wall with their tails. I think I am going to move mine at least 12" out and figure out a different way of attaching it. My second one would be 10" from the first and a bit lower.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    I'd go a foot from the wall

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    A foot from the wall, and a foot between additional roosts.

5. banjomoon

banjomoon Chirping

May 11, 2013
    East Nashville
    My Coop
    Thanks for the input! Last night they all roosted on it quite happily, so for now I will leave it. I can always move it if it starts to be a problem--I might add another roosting bar a bit lower and about 12 inches away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: