1. Deer lane farm

Deer lane farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    I have a problem. We built roosting poles for 6 chickens. Well they didn't all fit on the top one so there was a lot of pushing around and no on settled in. So we took them down and made longer ones. Right now all the girls fight nice and are sleeping comfortably. But they are only 9 weeks old. Well being new to this and not thinking it through, obviously as the grow they won't all fit on the top pole. I don't want to ask my fiancee to rebuild them because with all the additions to the coop already I'm driving him nuts. So my question is, as they get older and bigger will they roost comfortably some on the top pole and some on the other two poles? I don't want one poor chicken left out in the cold.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

As they grow, they will figure out who's in charge, who is not, and who can peck who (that's why it's called the pecking order.) Some will roost on the higher perch, and some on the lower one. The highest will always be the best spot, in their little chick brains.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    It took a few weeks of ruffled feathers and bickering but eventually my chickens settled down with the hens that are higher on the pecking order on the higher roosts. Then I got more chickens and everything went haywire again for awhile. The high end of the pecking order gets the choice of the roost from my experience.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

As long as there's no blood, and everyone gets to eat and drink, let them work it out themselves. The more you interfere, the longer it takes to sort it all out. The squabbles, chasing, jockeying for position, is the life of chickens. It is their socializing, their interaction. What else can they do?

5. Deer lane farm

Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks everyone.[​IMG] I so don't know what I'm doing. But so far they seem healthy and happy.

6. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Don't sweat it. We all learn as we go. That's why we all come to BYC for advice. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    A full grown hen will be 3 to 4 times bigger than they are now. So it is wise of you to think 4 months ahead.

In your writting, there was no mentioning of the amount of roosting space. Assuming there is ample roosting, the top bird will occupy and choose who she allows on her roost. I have two roosts on the same level. My top bird tried to own both, but eventually got tired of being greedy. She actually also tried to own the 3rd roost (at a lower elevation).

8. Deer lane farm

Aug 26, 2014
    I have three roosting bars. Right now they are all sleeping so cute on the top bar. I'm going to add some higher ones also. My coop is getting full. I have the nesting boxes on one side and the roosts on the other. There is a really high ceiling which seems like wasted space so I was thinking of adding a swing or high roosts. I have a window with a real small sill and one managed her way up there and sat on the sill but didn't really fit and kind of feel/flew down. So I covered the window with chicken wire. I don't think it is safe for them to sit on the sill. They can still see out the window from the top roosting pole.

9. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    It's my opinion all roosts should be at the same height. It helps to avoid conflict and lead to a more balanced flock.

10. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    I agree, if you have all roosts at one level, the night poop--that can cause much of the poultry house odor, can be collected on a droppings board under all the roost boards, on a bed of shavings. It can be emptied as needed (no smell) and your coop floor litter will stay cleaner and drier for much longer--weeks or months I use old wood fruit boxes with 2 roost boards across each, a plastic liner with a sprinkling of cedar shavings--smells nice. Just dump the boxes when getting a load. Plastic liner will be reusable, and NO night poop on the floor of the coop~ Chickens like to roost as high as they can--and in colder climates, usually, the higher, the warmer at night! Forget the ladder type roosts. (And how do you manage to catch a bird, or pick up an egg that is under that ladder type--that takes up too much room in your coop?) Make management of your birds, "happy" for them and easier for you. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by