Roosting Behavior?

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
Here's a dumb question (ok, two dumb questions!)...

I have been putting a red light in the coop, as it has been slightly chilly here at night and I have 2 week old chicks in a brooder box inside the coop (making introductions right off the bat!
wink.png
).

Next week my new little chicks will arrive and the current girls will have to give up their light.

1) The little ones have some of their big girl feathers, and it only gets down into the 50s at night. They should be fine with each other to cuddle with...right?

2)The older silkies will still go into the coop when it gets dark, even if the light isn't on..right?

I could just try it, but I want to know if I need to buy aother heat lamp before the time arises (if I need it).

Thanks!

Actually, I don't agree, I think mid 50's is too cool for 3 week old chicks. At 3 weeks, 75 is about as cool as they should be. Even if they survive the 50's, it is a lot of stress.

A general rule is start day olds off @ 95 degrees & reduce the temperature 5 degrees a week-do the math. 50 is way too cold for 3 week old chicks. They'll cuddle up alright & the ones on the bottom will die if they all don't.

Quote:
I'm a newbie, but I agree also. Our girls went to their coop and yard on a full time basis at 5 wks. Just to be on the safe side we left their light on for another week. Surviving isn't necessarily the hard part it's the stress they go through to keep warm. IF they were stressed you'll see small lines that run through their feathers.
hit.gif
Take into consideration that this is So. CA and we have no weather to speak of..
frow.gif

I agree that you need to buy another light. You really should have a spare anyway (so buy 2?) in case one burned out unexpectedly... mine went out at 6 weeks but I am in Northern CA and the weather has been quite mild and my coop is not drafty and is well-insulated... your little ones are not ready to be put outside yet and could die in a pile-up. Wait a few more weeks- they can drop about 5 degrees a week starting at 90-95 degrees- so 6 weeks or so might be about right for you too...
Patty N. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom