roosting behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmclaughlin, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have a small coop and there are 3 nesting boxes with 1 roosting perch but the girls don't use i.t they sit on the floor to sleep?? the roost is only 6 inches from the floor do others have chickens the don't use a perch??
    I also wonder about these short days. It's pretty dark when I get home from work and the are usually in the coop ready for bed :( I sure miss coming home and spending time with them LOL!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they are only a few months old they may not perch yet. How old are they?

3. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    They are 8 months old all 6 are laying regularly they just seem to like to snuggle

4. GuppyTJ

GuppyTJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Can you raise the roost up any higher? It may be that it's so low to the ground that they don't view it as an advantage to sleep on it vs. the ground. Chickens like to roost up higher as a way to remain safe from predators. When their ancestors were wild chickens, this is how they avoided getting eaten while sleeping. So, if the roost is only 6 inches off the ground, perhaps they don't view it as high enough to keep them any safer than if they sleep on the ground.

In terms of the days getting shorter, the chickens going to bed earlier is normal. My chickens go to bed at sunset so as the days get shorter and the sun sets sooner, they go to bed sooner. Their little biological clocks are very much in tune with their environment and the seasons.

Guppy

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2

If your chickens are silkies that is normal behavior for silkies. If they are other breeds then I would guess it is as Guppy said and the roost should be higher than the nest boxes so that they don't sleep in the nest boxes, as many people have a problem with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by