1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewlyHatched, Feb 27, 2014.

1. NewlyHatched

NewlyHatched Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Utah
    So I have only one baby roosting, I am still so excited though! It is the cutest thing ever! Is roosting young normal? When will the rest tag along?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Yep it's normal. I have a BO right now, about a week and a half old, sitting contently on the edge of her feeder, which is her first roosting behavior. I really need to rig something in her brooder like you.[​IMG] Within a few weeks, I'll probably find her sitting on the edge of her box! Chickens aren't the brightest of creatures, so once the rest "figure it out" they will probably give it a try too. Good luck!

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    It's very normal. The others may learn from that one or just figure it out on their own. The mothers teach the babies to roost as soon as practical (warm enough they don't need to be under her) for protection from predators (and the mother's protection as well).

4. NewlyHatched

NewlyHatched Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Utah
    Thanks LRH97 and dheltzel! LHR97, I am using a push up. We have four, so I figure once they all want to roost I can add more in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by