1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ROOSTING CHICKS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by t-dawg, Jul 23, 2008.

1. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    how do you get chicks to roost?

2. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    usually they see another chicken do it or you can set them on the roost when you put them up for the night.

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is true. Ours did not roost in their coop until their flying skills were good enough to hoist themselves up onto the roost. And once the chick at the top of the pecking order did it, the other others followed her lead.

~Phyllis

4. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My two girls are 6 1/2 weeks are they can fly up to the perch but they dont. They cuddle together in a nesting box. Will they perch at night soon?

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    This is the first time I've raised chicks. Right now, at 7 weeks in, I have 19 that roost and 7 that form a ball on the floor. Last week, only 14 were roosting. So I figure they get around to it. I've read that you can go in when they are sleeping and put them on the roost.

Around 3 weeks of age I put roosts in the brooder (branches nailed to pieces of 2x4). I never really saw any sleep on them, but some would perch. These perchers were the first ones to use the coop roosts for sleeping.

6. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    My six girls dont "roost" either. They are 5 weeks old. This is their 3rd night outside in their coop and they all jump on the "window sill" and pile on top of each other. This window is covered with that strong mesh screen. I am not sure if they just like the fresh air or what! Tonight I put a big heavy blanket on it cause it is raining hard and I was afraid they would get wet. Go figure..they have 3 available 2x4's at different levels and they have their "box" they were inside the house in with them incase they wanted that to adjust with. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by