Roosting Flock (9-10 Weeks old) PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ddcoyne, May 8, 2011.

1. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    Here's our flock of 9-10 week olds (depending on how old they were when we got them from the feed store) hunkered down, roosting for the night.

[​IMG]

We have a SLW. We aren't sure if it's a male or a female, but we're thinking female because of her tail feathers.

[​IMG]

We have many reds, either production or RIR. We aren't sure. One of those, we are almost certain is a roo. Very friendly birds!

[​IMG]

We have 2 large chicks that we believe to be dark cornishes. One of those may be a rooster, but we aren't sure. They are thick-legged and tall. Also very friendly! Named Mary & Ostrich. This is Mary.

[​IMG]

We have 2 beautiful BO pullets that are so soft & fluffy and very friendly. Outgoing, even! They jump up into our laps for treats and sometimes just to roost for a bit. They are Sandy & Blondie. This is one of them, perched next to a red.

[​IMG]

We have one dark chick that I can't identify. We believe its a roo. But I'm clueless as to the breed. He's a big ninny, though. Scared of everything. And a real whiner, and has been since he was small. He does come for treats, but when you hold him he peeps the entire time and never relaxes. We call him Fredo (or as I like to joke, A-Fraido). LOL

[​IMG]

We love to go outside just before it starts to get dark and watch them all jockey for position on the roosting bar. It can be quite entertaining. If anyone would have told me 10 weeks ago how much I would love my chickens, I would have thought they were crazy! I am enjoying them immensely! Going outside to the coop and bringing a bag of treats is the highlight of my day! They are so much fun!

If anyone can identify or give any guesses as to gender of the birds in the pictures, I'm all ears!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chicken watching is like having a zoo in your back yard!

3. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    Cute. Great pictures. [​IMG]

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Last picture is a black sex link. If so, that makes it a girl since only the girls have the amber ring around their neck, the males look like a BR. I have 3 black sex links and my girls have combs like that. I think it's just that breeds.

Mine are older, so they are filled out more

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Exactly! Better than any program on TV, too!

6. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    That is what I was thinking, BSL. However, I wasn't sure as these are my first chickens. I have four BSL. The amount of brown varies with the individual.

Here is one of my girls around the age yours is. Maybe a little younger. Not the best photo though.

[​IMG]

7. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Quote:Yep, eventually they loose all that fuzz and gain the darker more prominent ring of amber feathers around their neck. Then the black feathers take on this emerald color in the sun. They are very striking! Here is one of the ones pictured above, at about the age of yours.

Notice she still has fuzz, and just a few of the Amber feathers

[​IMG]

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Your SLW looks like a young cockerel to my eyes. I have a silver-laced wyandotte pullet that is the same age & does not look like that at all. My girl's feathers also look very different... you've got quite a handsome little cockerel there, I do believe!

9. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    Thank you for the replies!! I can't believe that Fredo is a girl! My hubby will be so pleased! LOL I guess we'll have to rename her Frida.

10. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:X2

That much comb and red, Roo at this point, my 2 9week olds have no red compared to yours, so I'm saying Roo.
    The other birds are lovely though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by