Roosting in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naturemom, Feb 21, 2008.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I have 4 bantam hens in a small coop. It only has 1 nest box and someone has been roosting in it! Nobody's laying right now since they don't have supplemental light, but I'm concerned about what will happen when spring comes. I don't want them laying eggs in a poopy nest! Is there anything I can do to get them to quit? They have plenty of perch space. Would a few fake eggs in there help! Should I cover it up for a while and hope they don't start laying before I uncover it? Help!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Where are your roosts located? Put them higher than the nest box and this may discourage nest box sleeping. Else, you can cover it up till they start laying and hope the habit is broken by then.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

There are a few things I would try. First, cover the nest box, untill you see that first egg. Then put a fake egg in there to let them know where you want the next egg! LOL
    After the go to "roost" go in with a flashlight, pick the intruder out of the nest, and gently place her/him on the roost. This might take a few times. I just FINALLY broke my ROO from sleeping in the nest box...he was such a pain too! Very persistant!

4. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    My silkie Serama bantams had NEVER roosted when I got them. They lived in cages and breeder pens. My roo is 2 1/2 yr. old and the hen is 1 yr. old. Their roost is 2 feet off the ground. At first they wanted to sleep in the laying box. When I moved it, they wanted to sleep in the shavings on the floor in the corner where the box had been (right under the roost. Well, I placed them on the roost every night. Penny hen finally began to roost by herself (meaning without my help). Pocket just recently has learned to join her on his own. I suggest physically placing them on the roost at roost time until they catch on.

5. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Ok, off to cover the nest box. I can't go in there because I wouldn't fit. I could open the egg door and push the hen out, but I think it would be easier to just cover the box. The roosting bar is lower than the nest box. Thanks for the advice!

6. naturemom

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Well, we covered the nest box, so naturally one of them decided to start laying! I'm going to uncover it in the morning and put a couple fake eggs in there. I just hope it's been long enough to break the habit.

7. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    [​IMG] Never a dull moment in the hen house! It's sometimes spooky how they're one step ahead of us. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by