Roosting in Run at Night....what to do??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by definetlydeb, May 8, 2011.

1. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    Hi everybody, just a quick question....we put a limb in the run of our coop.....I have been trying to let them go in the coop at night on thier own(nope, not working), I had been going out and putting them in, one by one about 7:30 ish and closing the pop door. Well, I thought, if I wait a little longer (later) maybe they will go in on thier own....so I have....only to find them all nestled on the limb in the run, I don't want them to be left out in run all night, even though it is very secure. So now what do I do??? Any help, greatly appreciated in advance, have a great day!!!

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Your going to have to usher them in at night until they take the hint. Maybe try sprinkling some treats they like from the run into the coop to encourage them to go in. If you have something they really love for food, they should follow it into the coop. Also, you could try locking them in for a couple of days to remind them that the coop is home. Hope this helps! [​IMG] Good Luck!

3. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    Oh thanks....I have been doing the treat thing as I put them in....but....they still think they should be roosting in the run....oh they are just spoiled rotten.....that's it, and they all want thier hugs.....I will continue to try with the treat things til they take the hint.....or shut ins they will be for a couple days!!! Thanks again!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by