Roosting....in the coop or in the run?

Stupid question but I have to ask........When roosting at night does the chicken have to be in the coop or can it roost in the run? I only have 3 adult chickens, 2 roost in the coop and 1 roost in the run...........
Well, usually you want them to be in the coop at night for safety reasons. I guess if your run is predator proof then maybe it doesn’t matter.

My run I feel is safe....You can see the little ladder going up inside the coop.....There is a roost that goes across there...

VG,

Let me ask you: what is the grid spacing for that wire that surrounds the Run? Is that something like a 1" x 4" perhaps?

I ask because my brother has his run surrounded by 1 x 4 grid heavy gauge wire mesh, - but the local predator critters have gotten 3 of his hens in the last 2 days simply by reaching in and somehow pinning them against the wire. They then rip the hens in pieces to get them through the wire. So, just asking.....

TWG

Well, usually you want them to be in the coop at night for safety reasons. I guess if your run is predator proof then maybe it doesn’t matter.
My run I feel is safe....You can see the little ladder going up inside the coop.....There is a roost that goes across there...

Attachments

• Chicken coop.jpg
    Chicken coop.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 62
That’s really a nice looking set up you have! Just make sure the chicken does not roost next to the wire, because a raccoon can grab it and pull it right through the wire in pieces.

Sorry to add to the negative waves, but I also have my doubts about the security of the run due to the 1" x 2" mesh. The weasels here will get through that.
Basically your run needs to be as secure as the coop. It's not even that something can get in, it's that the chickens can't get out if something does.

There is wire under the paved stones...about a foot and a haft...
The pavers can negate the apron wire, they may dig at edge of pavers and end up underneath the apron...I would suggest you remove the pavers from where they are and put them inside the run walls to keep the birds from digging out.

Back
Top Bottom