roosting in the nesting box...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by playswithfowl, Nov 5, 2007.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I have two young pullets and three adult hens, everyday they all go into the coop and then the older ones kick the younger ones off of the roost. So the two pullets go into a nesting box together and try and sleep in their, so I push them out of there and they go on to the roost. They all have plenty of room to roost, but the older ones decide that whatever spot they younger ones have must be a better spot, and there4 they must have it :mad:
    How do I prevent this from happening?
    Thanks,
    AJ

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Block off the nest boxes so that is not an option then the pullets may have to give up thier space, but know that they have to move to other side of roost.

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    mdbucks said:
    Block off the nest boxes so that is not an option then the pullets may have to give up thier space, but know that they have to move to other side of roost

How will my hens lay eggs, if i block off the nesting boxes?​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:How will my hens lay eggs, if i block off the nesting boxes?

only at night

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Put up a second roost that is either higher or lower than the current roost. The dominant hen will roost on the highest roost and allow the others to roost lower down.

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by