roosting in the rafters.... no thank you.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rooneytune, May 15, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    my darling birds have decided the best place to roost for the night is on the pole I put across the rafters of the coop to hang their feeder from!! I really dont want them up there for a few reasons, when the get up and down they are spilling their food and water, as the sleep they are filling their food with poo [​IMG] (argh). Do you think it I put a bunch of zip ties around the pole with the long ends sticking out (think porcupine pole) this would keep them from going up there? I don;t want to hurt them, but there are better places to roost. [​IMG]

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] You could make protective covers for the food & water dishes. Get a couple cheap plastic notebooks in the school supplies section at most $ stores. Make it like those cone collars for dogs, but duct- tape it so you can remove & replace it easily.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You could suspend feeders and like from horizontal wire.

I like my birds roosting up as another layer of protection in event nocturnal predator can get into coop. Makes its job more difficult.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They make a bird spike strips to keep pigeons off ledges etc. You could buy and attach to the pole. Might be easier.

Imp

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Possible ideas: Is there a way to suspend feed directly from a rafter?? Rather than the pole. Or lay plywood next to the pole to catch poo and discourage roosting. Smart creatures!

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought the zip-tie solution was very clever... they just need to be tight enough to stay sticking up & out and not just pointing down. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by