Roosting Ladder Opinions

Easy Acres

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
I didn’t like the design of the roost bars in the chicken coop I bought so I made a Roosting Ladder. I tried to follow all the recommendations (higher than nest box, varying sizes), I’m worried it’s too big. I’m going to add a shallow poop hammock under the ladder and am hoping the area underneath will still be usable. I’m planning on making a ramp as well, possibly hooking on the nesting box and running under the ladder. I am open to all opinions and suggestions, I know there is a lot of knowledge amount you all. I have Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorphs, Barred Rocks, and Easter edgers.

Attachments

• 69B7346D-F15B-417C-AE94-D1061A3C489E.jpeg
    69B7346D-F15B-417C-AE94-D1061A3C489E.jpeg
    518.9 KB · Views: 73
  • C48F22F6-F6D0-4F7D-B440-9C07CE3282BB.jpeg
    C48F22F6-F6D0-4F7D-B440-9C07CE3282BB.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 63
What height are the top of the nest boxes set at?
I'd be inclined to make an L-shaped, 2 ft wide poop board along the right and back walls and center roost bars about a foot over them. Like this:View attachment 2652944
I’m going to guess the top of the nest boxes is about 32” high. How far did you place your bar from the wall in this picture? Do the poop on the wall?

I'm no expert, I'm looking for a solution for a similar issue. I will say that you should consider rounding the tops for thier comfort. I have used a ladder style when my birds were chicks and they loved it, they just climbed up to get higher, it's especially good for birds like silkies who can't fly.

I'm no expert, I'm looking for a solution for a similar issue. I will say that you should consider rounding the tops for thier comfort. I have used a ladder style when my birds were chicks and they loved it, they just climbed up to get higher, it's especially good for birds like silkies who can't fly.
I sanded the edges so they where rounded. Now I’m about to start over.

I think your general idea is fine.
If you're modifying things I'd maybe just eliminate those vertical supports that eat up floor space and use longer support sticks that go all the way over to the nest box. The angle will stay similar and it will free up floor space. If you also remove the lowest roost bar, you'll have more room for chicken to jump down from the roosts. To get up, they'd jump up to the edge of the nest box, turn around and jump over to the roosts, no need for any additional ladders. I'd consider using the original supports as the rungs since they look the right length, but are wider than the 1.5"x1.5" bars you have now.
To make your poop hammock, I'd maybe put a couple of eye bolts or hooks under the support bars so you can easily attach/detach the hammock for cleaning
Good luck!
roostbars.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom