1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I just completed (well, almost) a new coop (many thanks to everyone who had posted pix and ideas here...they helped me A LOT). It is 8ft long and 6ft wide, attached OUTSIDE of a 20ftx20ft run area. I need to put up "roosting sticks" in the coop now. Is regular lumber ok to use, or does it need to be round? I was thinking of using 2x2 lumber. Thanks in advance and have a great week.

2. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I have buff orphs and barred rocks im going to use 2x4 ( little steardier for the large breeds ) with the 2 facing up and i will round the corners of the top side. Theirs my opinion anyways [​IMG]

3. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I also am new and just built a coop / run. I used the leaning ladder method and used 2X2 for the roost bars. I also had some fairly large limbs I had removed from one of my apple trees so I thought what the heck, I added them too. Everything I have read on here says 2X2 is fine UNLESS you are in extreme cold and them you want to use 2X4 laid flat which will cause the chickens to set on thier feet and keep them warm.

[​IMG]

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

BSB30120 , don`t know how cold it gets where you are, but I`ve found that 1 1/2 inch pvc is an excellent roost material that doesn`t harbour leg mites. If you are in a really cold climate, you might consider a 2x4 laid flat so they can cover their feet in the cold times.......Pop

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

ironimagery, Good setup there, but the ladder roost should have a flat surface for their feet. Sharp edges are mighty uncomfortable........Pop

6. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Thanks Pop I thought since the edges are not "square" corners but some what rounded it wouldn't be a problem. I will look into changing it.

Also I have read that "PVC" can be hard for the birds to grip since it is slick. Any problem with that?

7. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Chickens dont grip like a regular bird(cardinal/sparrow), they have to balance on thier roosts, So a flat or slightly rounded surface is best, I have used 4inch round branches, and 2x4's and both seem to work, THEY have decided that the 2x6 that I used for rafters work fine too. There is no right or wrong, just use what you have available. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by