1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosting(not on roost)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cw, Apr 15, 2009.

1. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    we have 3 month old barred rocks white rocks and french guineas,
    they are in there coop and happy, but they will not use there roost they will spend the night in there nesting boxes
    dont matter if the temps are warm or cold they huddle up in there nesting boxes
    i dont believe there being pestered by predetors we aint lost one yet

2. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    all mine tend to do the same thing, it is a hoot to go out there right after dusk and see them scrambling to get as close as they can to one another and to see how many at fitting into one nest box, crazy, but that is the way they like it.

3. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    mine do the exact same thing.
    i wonder if thell grow out of it?

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    when we got our girls they didn't use a roost at all (not sure if they knew what it was lol) and they slept on the shelves we still had in the coop (that once was a storage shed), but we still lopped off a nice thick branch to put in there as a stable roost, just in case they had the inclination to perch there. our top hen still sleeps on a shelf in the corner (I guess she feels safest there because she has laid 2 eggs there over the past 2 weeks).

anyways, we had to pick them up repeatedly and put them on the roost and keep them there for a few minutes, so they would know it was safe and okay to be in that spot. once they figured that out, they use it regularly. I would say put them on the roost a few times (possibly per day) and pet them (if you do that) and show them it's safe and okay to stay there. every morning when I go to turn their light on 3 of my girls on on the roost looking at me as I come in, and my 4th girl is in her corner. hope that helped any

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I had to put boards over my nesting boxes so they couldn't get in them.

After that they used the roosts.

When I added juvies, they started using the nest boxes... it took me every night for about two weeks going in before the light shut off at 8 and putting the juvies on the roosts. Now they just get up there. No poop in the next boxes now.

6. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    they use the roost in the daytime and weve put them there
    they just end up in there nesting boxes

7. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    then I guess I would take the nest boxes out of the options of places to sleep during the night, so they get the idea

maybe that will help

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by