1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting on the roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ikis, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ikis

Ikis New Egg

Oct 3, 2011
    Hi, i just joined this group and have had chickens since May, i live in Lake Oswego Oregon and will be sending pics etc later. but i have a question. I built a chicken coop inside one of those gazebo (10' square and 12 ' high) things you buy at the mega home improvement centers (it was 10 years old and the canvas top was discarded and the entire structure covered with chicken wire with a door. now the chickens would stay all together in one nest box (they were 4 mos. old at the time) They are now 7 months old and have stopped going in at night to sleep in the coop but fly to the top of the coop to sleep on the roof. They are not in danger as the structure is protected. what is going on and why wont they go into the coop?

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Ikis, Seems to me they just instinctevly like to be as high as possible to feel safe. Do you have roosts set up inside coop? Maybe try taking them down and putting them on roosts inside. Or somehow block off the access to the roof and then show them the roost inside. Good luck
    Erik

3. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Ikis, by the way....welcome to BYC. Great folks on here with lots of good advice/help.
    Erik

4. Ikis

Ikis New Egg

Oct 3, 2011
    i have a roost inside the coop but wondering why they wont perch on that they prefere the roof.

5. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Ikis, Did ya read what I mentioned in post 3. Ya did make any comments on my suggestions. Erik

6. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Sorry, I meant post2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by