Roosting on top of my Fridge!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jnine, Jan 7, 2010.

1. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Hey all,

I have two hens who would much rather roost on top of our 6' high outside fridge every night after their free-ranging session, than in their 6' high roofed 8x8' square semi enclosed hen house with lots of high perching areas and things to roost on/in. When it gets dark I've tried herding them into the henhouse in the other corner of the yard, but I've found it akin to herding cats! They are around 21 weeks old and very timid, so we have to wait until they are settled/sleepy to be able to pick them up, and carry them back to the hen house. I've tried moving things away from the fridge that they use to get on top of it, but then they just fly at it crash landing on the ground (which is kinda funny)and when they realise that they can't make it they start eyeing off my car parked in the backyard - aarg!!

Anyone have any idea on how to get them to realise that their home in not on top of a fridge?? Moving the fridge into the henhouse is just not practical!

It's about 68-77f here at night so it's not like they are trying to keep warm either [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Keep moving them and maybe they'll get the picture. Mine did. (they were roosting on the porch rail and poopin on the porch all night!!!!)

OR lock them in the coop for a week, if space permits. They should learn where the "bed" is that way.

Alternately you could go the wing clipping route so that they hopefully couldn't fly up so high. My Leghorns can only get up about 3ft now.

3. jnine

jnine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    The Great South East
    Thanks Tala,

We've been moving them back in for about 6 weeks now. They did have a smaller A-Frame tractor, but now they have a big shed with lots of high places. They can't fly more than 3 feet in the air, hence the smashing into the fridge whenever they try. I guess locking them in for more than a few nights as we've done before may be the only way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by