Roosting, or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grandmaof5, Nov 20, 2010.

1. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I was later than usual closing the window on the coop last night, and when I did go out to do it, I noticed one lady up on the roost, but couldn't tell if there was only 1 or if perhaps there were 2 up there. This morning when DH went out, he said all 3 girls were on the floor, sleeping together as they've always done. I know now that at least one of them tried it out last night, but why didn't she stay up there? Is this the start of the "to roost or not to roost" question for them? Will the others give it a go, too, now that they've seen one of them do it?

2. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Yes they will all end up using it, but only once they decide the time is right. I've long since given up trying to get my chickens to do things my way [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If they are nearly a year old, I would guess they were warmer on the floor, especially if you do not have a wide roost. As long as they don't sleep in the nest boxes....

4. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    ddawn, they are 23 weeks old. I haven't seen anyone up there since that one time. Tropical Chook, yeah, I think they all seem to be a bit strong-willed. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by