1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting Order/Placement = Pecking Order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninabeast, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Has anyone ever noticed if there is a correlation between the pecking order in their flock, and where the girls roost? Or in which order? It just seems that the dominant hens should get first choice of the best spots, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

2. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Yes...My Boss hen is always the first to roost and if anyone even thinks of getting in her spot..she is fast to inform then that that was not ok...and my two newest girls that are on the bottem of the pecking order..they sleep in the nesting boxes until I place them on the roost...

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    my rooster the top hen and the top hens friends get to go on the highest roost not sure if the top hens friend gets to go on anymore because she has been moved down to third in the pecking order

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Hmmm. I thought Maisie was Head Hen, but she was last to roost tonight. I'm confused. I do know that Tallulah lost the spot of Head Hen, in large part because she's to big to get up there by herself, and needs to wait for me to help her. Chickens are so interesting.

5. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    i have two rooster's and there is a cochin rooster and he is always the first on the roost but when the big hens comes in and the other rooster they always push him off
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Mine don't seem to roost in dominant order. They always squabble for about 5 minutes as they try to get their preferred spot but they don't always sleep in the same place. Maybe mine are just weird.

7. Jobele

Jobele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Texas
    Mine definitely have the head Rooster and then the top hens get to cuddle up next the him at night! Then all the others get on the lower rungs.

8. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I don't know about all of my chickens, but I notice many of them periodically change spots on the roosts. It seems that once I get used to seeing the same chickens in one spot, they'll switch things up. [​IMG] Although it seems they do go into the coop in the same general order with one particular girl ALWAYS being the last.

9. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    absolutely...
    I added two new additions to the flock...
    surprisingly was going ok...however...the first one to stick her pecker into one was...
    my sweet little bantee...up untill this point...she was lowest on the pecking list...
    had a friend...but didn't really contect well with the others...
    I got suck a kick...the first night...when she was roosting on the top with the more superiors...
    feeling very sure of herself...

10. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Havent noticed that.... my roo that gets kicked outta the pen by the dominate roo sleeps higher than the other.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by