Roosting outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gpduxbak, Jul 10, 2011.

1. gpduxbak

gpduxbak New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    New to chickens. Just got a flock of seven hens all between 15 and 18 weeks old. I have a covered outside run that I kept them in for several days before alowing them out to free range. As of late some of my hens have been late to return to the coop and last night three of them chose to roost outside on the top of my dog kennel. I have been closing the gate to the run once they all came in for protection so I had to catch the three AWOL hens and return them to the coop. I thought keeping them locked up initially would teach them where to come home to and for most of them it worked. So should I place my whole flock on house arrest? Also what's to stop them from laying while they are out free ranging?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Try getting them all into the covered run by late afternoon by feeding them in there. Then close them up.

3. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    Did you lock them in the coop or the run? If you want them to roost in the coop, lock them inside for a couple days or so.

4. gpduxbak

gpduxbak New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    I just locked them in the run. I will try locking them in the coop and see how it goes.

thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by