1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting perches

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Who922, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Who922

Who922 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Roswell, NM
    I was looking at the brooder thread and there were pictures with sticks, etc for roosting. When do they need or use roosting areas? Mine are just a week old.

2. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    You can put one in whenever you want. They may not "roost" on it though. They will jump on it. I have a platform in my brooder that they like to sleep on so hopefully they will get used to sleeping off the ground so easier transition to a roost. I have a group of 12 week olds that aren't even roosting yet! Good luck.

3. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Mine started roosting pretty early. It's not necessary but they do love to have them in there!

4. Who922

Who922 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Roswell, NM
    My light is 18 inches off the floor, so I would have to put it where it wasn't directly under the light. maybe I will try a couple of branches and see how they like them.

5. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    They will probably love them!! [​IMG]

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    We simply lay down logs that are 5-6" in diameter and change them out for bigger logs as the chicks get older, until they graduate to a roost around 8-10 weeks or so. Chicks like to huddle together when they're small but they can develop balance and coordination and a habit of getting up off the ground by jumping up on logs and huddling together.

7. mallorysinclair

mallorysinclair Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I put a thick stick in as a roost when my youngest chicks were about a week and a half old. They're 3 and a half weeks old now and all of them roost on it. and jump on it, pull at it, play with it. They like it a lot.

8. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    This week several of my 3 week olds started flying onto my arms when I was in doing chores and just plopped down on my and roosted. I figured they wanted a roost in the brooder. I built one with two levels (our brooder is about 30 inches tall). They immediately started roosting. Up to this point we have just had a 2x2 in the bedding for them to sit on. The are already fighting over the best spot. Silly birds.

9. ReadyRen

ReadyRen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I'm thinking of using a branch I recently cut off a tree as well. I've read that using wider roost such as a 2x4 can keep their feet warmer, good in the cold, but here in Arizona probably a bad idea. My girls are only 7 weeks or so and love to perch on my hands when I pick them up and get vocal when I put them down.

10. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a lilac branch and a little roost made of 1/4 round molding and a couple of scrape wood squares. they've hopped on both so far, but haven't officially roosted. The cochin likes to run over them.
    They're about 2.5-3wks old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by