1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting perchs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kidfarmer, Mar 29, 2015.

1. kidfarmer

kidfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Do chickens need to have roasting perchs in the coop for them?

2. kona26

kona26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I am no pro but I think they do so they don't sleep and poop on the eggs

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Yes, they naturally roost at night. They should be higher than the nest boxes to prevent sleeping in them. A 2x4 wide side up with 12 inches or so per bird works well.

4. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I'll be sure to add those to my coop!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Silkies don’t fly so they may have trouble roosting. Some will roost if they can get up and down but some are quite happy staying on and sleeping on the floor.

Most chickens have a natural instinct to sleep on the highest thing they can get on. Occasionally you have some that won’t but almost always they do. That’s why you need roosts higher than the nests, to keep them from sleeping in the nests. They poop a lot when they sleep.

6. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I have Rhode Island Reds and australorps so I'm not sure what they might do

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I use saplings/ tree branches, 3" to 4" diameter, bark on, as roosts. Many people use 2x4's, also good. My roosts are anywhere from three to eight feet high (4" fence post rafters!) and are used by both my bantams and the big birds. I also have way more than 12" per bird, so much less arguing over space at night. Mary

8. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Defienitly will try the saplings.. I have lots of those around thanks for the help

9. chickenfinger5

chickenfinger5 New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    The roosting idea has definatly worked and the separation the australorp chick has stopped pecking at the others eyes and it seems that all of the chicks are very amused with the perch! Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions we appreciate it![​IMG][​IMG]

10. gpeters3

gpeters3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2015
    Near Adrian MI

Well.....my idea isn't working. I used 2x4 on edge, about a foot in front and a few inches higher than the nest lip and they still prefer the nest boxes or front lip to roost. I'm using a nest box/feed hanger design which may make the perches too high. I added a 5 gal bucket with vertical nipples but even as high as I could hang it isn't really high enough for them to drink comfortably. They have to squat a bit and crane their necks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by