Roosting plucking off his feathers?

smalltowngal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
We have a new rooster and today noticed he has a 3 inch by 3 inch bald spot where it looks like he's been plucking out his feathers. I don't know if it's an anxiety issue where he is in a fairly new home or maybe the heat is getting to him. We got him 2 weeks ago. A week ago I noticed what looked like a loose feather and thinking it might have started with just one or two feathers. Do we need to get some sort of ointment to put on the area. It is a little red where the worst of the plucking is. I have never witnessed him plucking himself so I suppose it could be a hen but I can't imagine a much smaller, younger female going after him. He's crowing well and isn't acting sick at all.

Quote:
No. Sorry, I should have mentioned it is the side of his neck. Here's a picture of him taken a couple days ago. It's the yellow/black part that borders the black area that you would be looking straight at. Imagine if he was turning to his side and plucking at his neck.

55591_100_1158.jpg

Ok, hubby and I looked up molting and that might be what's going on. He's a little over a year and I think we saw pin feathers. I think hubby is going to try and get a picture for you guys to see for sure if that's what's happening.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom