roosting pole

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crzychicken, Sep 2, 2008.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Hello all, I know I saw it on here but.. I can't find it what size roosting pole for my 4 week chicks or should I jut put a 2x3 and they can use it for a while??

Thanks
    crzychicken
    Jody

2. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jody,

I'm finding with my little guys that they will roost anywhere and on anything. Your 2x3 should work fine...

3. Bethmill

Bethmill New Egg

May 22, 2008
    My speckled sussex pullets are over three months old and still will not roost. They squat on the floor in the corner, passing up a lovely roost my DH built. What is wrong with my Northern Alberta, Canada birds?

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    At 3 months, they should be on a roost at night. I would go in there late, and find the flock leader (if possible). Pick her up off the floor and put her on the roost. You might have to do this a couple of times (if you have only a few birds you could pick them all up), but eventually she should do it herself and all the others will follow.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I threw a couple of round logs from my firewood pile in with the chicks. They took to it immediately and began roosting the first day it was there.

6. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    We split a dog crate into it's two halves (top and bottom), and pushed them together where the door had been for a brooder for 15 Buff Orpingtons. When they started roosting on the edges of the crate at a couple weeks old, we surrounded the whole thing with a ring of welded wire and made little roosts out of sticks and some scrap 2x4 pieces.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  7. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks all for the Info all of you are awsome ! I put a 2X3. It' their 1st night out in their coop. I thought I have had them 4 weeks but they are only 3 weeks old (so my son tells me crazy around here with school starting). I put a light in the coop for them and they love all the room.
    Jody

8. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I put a little dowl in with my 2 week old chicks and a coupl eof them are roosting....I have 28 of them in there...and only two will roost so far. I also put a stick from a tree in my back yard and my 3 day olds are jumping on it all the time!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When a couple start getting on the roost eventually the others will too. Mine were "monkey see monkey do".

10. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I had to put most of my chicks on the roost for a few nights, and then they figured it out and take care of it themselves. Just show them what to do and they'll figure it out soon enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by