1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosting problems

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jtr, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    well after 1 night of putting my rirs on the roost manually 5 out of 10 got on by themselves so hopefully they will start using it constantly wish me luck!!!!

2. ColbertChick

ColbertChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I was worried about my "kids" too! They seemed quite happy to just sleep snuggled up on the floor of the coop. Then one night I went out to shut the hatch and I thought all of my chickens were gone! I craned my neck to look up into the coop and there they all were> I was so proud:D!! It was like watching my real kids take their first steps.[​IMG] DH thinks he may have to resuscitate me when they lay their first egg.

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    is'nt silly how we take pride and smile when our chicks hit another growth milestone ... I got so excited when one of my girls Clucked... or when My roo purred when I was petting him.. had no idea how much I would enjoy chickens till I got them now 3 months ago...[​IMG]

)O(
    Pink

4. jtr

May 6, 2011
    Quote:Yeah it sure is exciting

5. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    My 4 months olds wouldn't roost at first. But after a big storm, I came out and they were all on the roost. That was a great day. Now I'm tackling picking them up and hand feeding them. It's fun to try to train a chicken.

6. Allsardane

Allsardane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    I have a "cool kids" section, a partial rejects section, and an outcasts section.

The majority of my birds, the cool kids, all roost together on one side.
    The white laced red Cornish and one of the two blue andalusians balance precariously on a roost I had made for the bantams to have a place to escape the big birds...How's that working out for me?
    The outcasts section consists of the two non-fliers (frizzle and a silkie) and a buff polish who all cuddle on the ground.....even though I built a ramp up to the roosts....even though I placed them there 4 nights in a row when they were 9 weeks old....even though the polish is a pretty good flier...even though I blocked off their favorite corner to try and convince them to roost elsewhere.... /sigh

7. jtr

May 6, 2011
    hopefully they will all get on it tonight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by