Roosting question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sanchabird, Mar 8, 2014.

1. sanchabird

sanchabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    I am very new to keeping ducks so I am sorry for all of the questions. I am planning on getting 3 females in about a month. I have 4 chickens right now but I have had more in the past so I am familiar with chickens but not so much with ducks. Do ducks roost like chickens or do they sleep on the floor? How old do they have to be to swim in a kiddie pool? Can their beaks eat out of a chicken feeder when they are grown? Thanks in advance!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mallard-derived ducks do not roost like chickens, but Muscovies do roost, I am told.

It's best for them to be fully feathered before they swim in a kiddie pool. They can have bath time (no soap, just water) fairly young -most agree that by two weeks it should be fine, though some begin earlier. Bath time for ducklings requires close attention, water only up to the tops of their legs, a warm temperature (based on age of duckling), and a brief time - maybe only 5 minutes. After bath time, they need to be replaced in a warm, dry brooder and possibly dried off with a washcloth.

I feed mine with dog bowls.

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Muscovy ducks are the only domestic ducks that will roost. The mallard derived breeds are non roosting. Young ducklings readily become waterlogged and chill easily. Once they are feathered they can be allowed monitored swim time - they then will start grooming and lubricating themselves. In my experience ducks do better eating out of bowls or pans rather than most chicken feeders. Enjoy your ducklings - they can be very entertaining.

1 person likes this.
  4. sanchabird

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    The ducks I am getting are pekins so I am guessing they don't roost.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That sounds right. They are ground-nesters.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    yep, just scovies.. which is both a plus and a minus lol

as for feeders yes and no.. i'll explain those chicken feeders where they section off?

[​IMG]

don't like those for ducks, they shovel not peck their foods.

These type are fine..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  7. sanchabird

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    Ok, thanks for the feeder info. I have the first one right now for my chickens, but I will get a metal one for the ducks. Just wondering, but do ducks need a waterer and a pool? I was already planning on getting a kiddie pool for them, but I just switched my chickens to a nipple drinker. Do I need to get a regular waterer for my ducks in addition to the kiddie pool because I'm not sure if they would be able to use the nipple waterer?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Right - I would not use a nipple waterer - I vaguely recall hearing somewhere someone used them, but I don't think that's best.

I use stew pots - they are deep and flat-bottomed and don't tip over easily. This is for adult ducks.

9. sanchabird

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    Ok, I will do that. Will a cake pan work when they are babies?

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I just use chick waterers for when their little.. as they grow i upgrade, remember ducks get into anything that has water! i would also recommend drinking water and bathing water, ducks are not clean and while i am not saying they will keep a drinking bowl clean still i offer it.. an awesome idea i ran across which allows for nare dunking but keeps them out is this.. can;t say enough good things about this design, has kept my ducks with water open even in below freezing temps.

http://frankiemakes.blogspot.ca/2012/06/watering-solution-for-ducks.html

as well in this sticky is a good water solution for young ducks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by