1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosting Questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Blue_Myst, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    So, at the moment I have a bad case of 'need to improve my coop' syndrome. Here goes:

In my coop, I don't have any roosts, but I have a 3' by 4' nesting box with the top about 4 to 4 1/2 feet off the floor of the coop, which they sleep on top of every night. You can probably tell this coop was built when I was very new to chickens! So, I have a few questions:

Should I put roosts in the coop?

If I do put in roosts, and I put them on top of the box, the roosts will probably end up being close to 5' off the ground. Is this too high?

I might end up stripping the box down to the bottom planks and putting the roosts there, in which case they'd be somewhere between 2' and 3' off the ground? Still too high?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes: roosts in coop

No: 5 feet isn't to high if you have a flighty bred

No: 2 or 3 feet might be to low unless you've got Brahmas and/or Jersey Giants.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Well don't feel bad all of us including the best chicken people made mistakes and a lot of them.
    I am still learning too, you need a roost in the coop and you really don't need itabove the nest boxes beacuse that make the boxes real dirty.
    the seconed thing is that your current nesting boxes are so high from the ground they should be about 18" to 24" off the ground.

Best of luck.

Omran

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    No: 2 or 3 feet might be to low unless you've got Brahmas and/or Jersey Giants.

Are Buff Orpingtons considered a 'heavy' breed? [​IMG]

you need a roost in the coop and you really don't need itabove the nest boxes beacuse that make the boxes real dirty.
    the seconed thing is that your current nesting boxes are so high from the ground they should be about 18" to 24" off the ground.

I should've explained that a little better. I have a big box, which stores the actual nest boxes inside it. So, technically, the nestboxes are 2 feet off the ground. It's the top of this big box which they sleep on. It's worked out well so far, but it makes it easier for mites to get at them while they are sleeping, and a pain to clean [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by